Yoga can be a quiet practice or it can be a noisy one. I particularly like having music playing before classes start and during the relaxation portion at the end.
These few of my favourite mellow tunes for practicing yoga; I’ve also recommended some meditative songs in the Meditation section. Click on the iTunes button to purchase a specific song.
- Costa Rica (Acoustic Version) by Vince Vaccaro
- Full of Grace by Sarah McLachlan
- Hide & Seek 2 by Imogen Heap
- Holding a Heart by Girl Named Toby
- Homeless by Paul Simon (with Ladysmith Black Mambazo)
- Till Kingdom Come by Coldplay
- Lonely by The Boom Booms
- Lost by Anouk
- She’s Only Happy In the Sun by Ben Harper
- Song for Leaving by Brett Dennen
- Tu Es Belle by Toby
- Where are you Going? by Dave Matthews Band
- You’ll Go Far by Jenn Grant
These songs are particularly lovely for savasana – the beautiful relaxation period at the end of a yoga practice.
- Aad Guray by Deva Premal
- Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons
- Into the West by Howard Shore & Annie Lennox
- Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson
- Long Time Sun by Snatam Kaur
- Ma by Guru Ganesha Singh
- Never Ending Road (Amhrán Duit) by Loreena McKennitt
I like the songs on the albums below too much to mention just one! I’ll sometimes just play the whole CD throughout a class – no need to create a playlist!
- Eternal Om by Yogi Hari
Fabulous background music for a long guided relaxation. The long melodic oms take away thoughts and let the brain drift.
- Flores by Mirabai Ceiba
Aportua and El Viento are my favourite songs, but the whole album is relaxingly wonderful.
- Yoga: 8 Limbs to Bliss by Maggie Diaz Del Castillo
Great mostly instrumental background tracks.
Music that captures the seasonal spirit.